Parts 1 and 2 of this series:
Customizable Chocolate Protein Shakes
I’m pretty picky about protein shakes but my riff on this recipe is delicious and relatively cheap too. Listed below the recipe are all the different versions I’ve made.
Makes 2 shakes
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 scoops chocolate Designer Whey (this is the cheapest decent-tasting whey I’ve found at Woodman’s, where I buy most of my groceries)
- 4 teaspoons Pyure brand stevia (I buy this at Wal-Mart – it’s 2X sweeter than sugar)
- 2 standard ice cube trays’ worth of ice (or about 20 large ice cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla or chocolate unsweetened almond milk
Blend together all ingredients except ice. If you’re not going to drink the smoothie right away, you can throw this mixture in the fridge. Sometimes I do this the night before a busy day if I’m not sure that I’ll be able to find time for breakfast.
Just before drinking, add ice and blend on high until smooth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of nut butter (almond is my favorite)
- Top with sugar-free whipped cream
- Add a few drops of mint or vanilla extract
- Blend in two frozen bananas
- Add 2 tablespoons of MCT oil (basically liquid-state coconut oil) for healthy fats
- Use vanilla protein powder, chocolate almond milk, and a handful of fresh raspberries for a shake that tastes surprisingly like raspberry cake batter!